Friday, February 12, 2010

Continental No Go

I tried to better my knitting and broaden my ability but that is just to hard. Even the baby bib had to be riped out. Looking back cotton was not a good choice to try, being that keeping tension in cotton was much harder on my finger that keeping tension in wool. I might one day get up the courage and try again. But for now I made my fair isle hat and mittens just fine with out it. I created a new method of holding both colors in my right hand at one time. One color on the outside and one on the inside, and would rotate my fingers between the two colors. Probably not quite as fast since I am still throwing both colors but works for me.
Aren't they crazy cute? And they were so much fun to knit I did it all in one week. I love them and wear them all the time. They are very warm and can take all the wear. Also the kit came with almost enough yarn to make two sets. Made my mom a hat and plan on making myself a matching cowl. I am afraid to wash them though, really really do not want to felt them, and the though of being with out them for a day to air dry is just too much. In the bag I am holding is my falling leaves blanket which is finally finished. It only took two years to finish.
I would say it was worth it. It took three 1lb carnon yarn. As I have said before I started with only one and thought I could somehow just go back and buy more want I ran out. Well that didn't happen so opted to used three very different sades of green to make it look like this was done on purpose. I also got border of making all those small squares so I made up a pattern that would be as big as four of them put together. I love it. The knitted border was horrid, I hate having to pick up stitches let alone doing it for two hours strait.

I also learnt to crochet a little on this project. I used a zig-zag stitch to join all the squares together, just slightly better then sewing. I do like the effect though, trying to hide my sewing would have been too hard and the zig-zag stitch is supposed to stand out as a design feature. Yes it is true I did not block the blanket. You can point and laugh and call me lazy but it is a blanket and I just didn't feel like it.

No comments: